1. No makeup, makeup. Not only have a lot of my clients been asking for this, it seems to be a huge red carpet trend. This generally means a natural or glossy lip, a cheeky lash and soft full brows. Sienna Miller even has a teeny-tiny eyeliner in there which totally polishes her minimal makeup look.
No-makeup Makeup on Jessica Biel. Image: Getty
No-makeup Makeup Sienna Miller. Image: Getty
2. The chocolate smokey-eye. Janelle Monáe proved that a chocolate smokey, a fierce lash and a nude lip is still very much a thing! I also absolutely adore the creamy texture of her skin, the sneaky pearly hue on her bottom lashline and her gelled, minimal brows.
Janelle Monáe rocking a modern chocolate smokey-eye. Image: Getty
3. Matte Lips overdrawn lips are here to stay. I love the alteration of ‘Instagram makeup’ that Sir John did on Olivia Culpo, I love the warm toned eyes on her skin, how the definition comes from a well-blended build-up of shadow (rather than from a structured eyeline) and that although the brows are strong, you can still see the natural texture of them. The hint of metallic gold is to die for!
Olivia Culpo with a gold halo eye. Image: Getty
4. Tussled bobs. Kirsten Bell opted for a more structured vintage look, whereas Emily Ratajkowski went for a more tussled, youthful style. To achieve Emily’s look, just curl the hair, then brush those curls through to relax them and spritz with a little hairspray! Simples!
Emily Ratajkowski owning a tussled bob. Image: Getty
Kirsten Bell with a structured bob. Image: Getty
5. The under lash. I am so glad this is finally stepping out from beauty editorial and into events.
Drew Barrymore with a soft smokey-eye and under lash combo. Image: Getty
6. The braided bun. Issa Rae makes this style look effortlessly edgy, however you can also alter a braided bun to make a pretty up-style. I also love the texture of a braided bun, so rather than placing it on the top of your noggin, you can pop one at the nape of the neck for a super sturdy hairstyle option for brides and clients that would like something a little different from your usual ‘curly up-do’.
Issa Rae wearing braids and beautiful lashes. Image: Getty
7. The chic cowlick. Gosh, Evan Rachel Wood’s hair was one of my favourites this year. Also, beauty aside, I love that she was bold enough to wear a suit, I love the balance of masculinity and femininity of her look, it’s so modern, progressive and beautiful. I adore it.
Beautiful and Bold, Evan Rachel Wood owning the red carpet. Image: Getty
8. Minimal base coupled with a fluttery lash and flirty lips. This is an award show favourite every year. A lash and lip combo balanced with a fresh base is always going to be a crowd pleaser.